One week of touringThe numbers of sights of Sri Lanka are enormous. At this tour you get to know the most important and spectacular ones and afterwards you can relax at the Gardenbeach Hotel, Kosgoda, and assimilate the different and tremendous number of impressions.
1. Day: Our courier welcomes you at the airport Colombo. Your tour starts at the elephant orphanage in Pinnawela. Watch the young elephants when they get feed and washed in the river. The tour goes on to Dambulla where you can relax in the “Palvehra Village” Hotel and enjoy your dinner.
2. Day: In the morning the tour continues to Anuradaphura where the oldest holy Bodhi tree and the highest Stupa ( or Dagoba) of the world lay. Many other antiquities of this 2500 years old town are very interesting too. On the way back to Dambulla you have the chance to ride an elephant in the Habarana Jungle ( on your own risk).
3. Day: Today you go first to Pollonaruwa, the medieval capital of Sri Lanka. Some remains of this town still do their duty. The King Parakrama Bahu ordered to lay out artificial ponds, like the Parakrama Samudra, and a widespread irrigation system. The remains of the King palace, the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic, a lotus pond, the rock temple Gal-Vihara, the old Buddhist university Alahana Pirivena and many more things are waiting for you.
After lunch you visit Sigiriya, the lion rock which was extended by King Kashappa 1500 years ago. Half the way up you can see the beautiful Sigiriya girls made out of stone. On top of the rock the remains of the old King palace and a beautiful scenery are waiting on you. After this 2 to 3 hours tour you are taken back to the hotel.
4. Day: After having breakfast you visit the Dambulla rock temple which was built by King Walagambahu 2000 years ago. In the 5 caves there are 156 Buddha statues and wonderful old wall-paintings and ceiling frescos. From Dambulla you go on to Kandy, the old capital and king town. On the way to Kandy we make a stop in Matale and visit a spice garden where you get to know all the different spices and herbs of the country. In Kandy you check in the hotel “Thilanka” before you visit a performance of the famous Kandy temple dancers.
5. Day: In the morning we visit the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic, worldwide the most important place for every Buddhist. Afterwards we take a look at the Royal botanic garden with beautiful orchids and gigantic trees. Some scenes of “The Bridge at the Quai” were shot in this garden. Then the tour continues to Nuwara Elliya. The city lays in the highland, almost 2000 metres above. In this area there are some waterfalls and many tea plantations where the famous Ceylon tea is planted. With a visit to a tea factory you get to know more about this popular drink. You will have the chance to try a cup of tea ( advice: buy here the tea of best quality). You stay at the “Suni Hill” Hotel.
6. Day: Early in the morning the journey starts in the direction of Yala or Bundela National Park ( depending on the time of the year). We pass tea plantations as well as other plantations and waterfalls and drive through wonderful sceneries to Tissamaharama, where you spend the night. Around 3 pm the 4 hours jeep safari starts through the National Park. With some luck you are able to see wild elephants, leopards, bears, deers, crocodiles, buffalos and different birds. After this unforgettable adventure it goes back to the hotel.
7. Day: Today you go to Kosgoda and stay at the “Gardenbeach” Hotel where you will spend your second week of your holiday. The way to the hotel takes us along the South coast of Sri Lanka. We pass the old Dutch Fort Galle, the traditionell fishermen on stilts and fascinating beaches where we can make a short stop for swimming.
2-3 persons = 525,- € / p.P.
4 or more persons = 500,- € / p.P.
one week of the tour with a vehicle having air conditioning
English/German speaking driver
6 nights with half-board
all entrance fees
transfer to the airport
possible film or photograph permission